ZAMBIA is Ebola and cholera free but preparedness measures have been heightened to prevent any likelihood of an breakout, says Health Minister Chitalu Chilufya.
Dr Chilufya said measures had been put in place to avoid the importation of the Ebola virus disease and cholera into Zambia from the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Zimbabwe respectively.
The minister told Parliament on Thursday, in a ministerial statement that Government had already begun to put up prevention, preparedness and response plans to tackle the diseases especially along the borders.
“Mr Speaker sir, recently we have had two scares of suspected Ebola cases at Ndola Central Hospital and Levy Mwanawasa Teaching Hospital both of which tested negative for Ebola. To date there has been no confirmed case of Ebola recorded in Zambia,” he said.
Dr Chilufya prodded his fellow Members of Parliament to support the multi-sectoral teams and activities assigned to them in their different constituencies which related to personal and environment hygiene to prevent the occurrence of Ebola and avoid a repeat of the cholera outbreak.
Leader of the opposition Jack Mwiimbu said industrial unrest by council workers would negatively affect such interventions and wanted to know what Government was doing to resolve the matter.
Dr Chilufya said his Local Government counterpart Vincent Mwale held a meeting with the union yesterday and that the sit-in protest by council workers had been called off.
Notice: Undefined index: widget_id in /home/zambianews24/public_html/wp-content/plugins/td-composer/legacy/common/wp_booster/td_wp_booster_functions.php on line 2642