About 30 suspected cases of COVID-19 were picked up from the mass testing in Kafue after the small transit town was put on total lockdown.
The samples of the 30 cases have since been dispatched to Lusaka for laboratory confirmation and Health Minister Dr. Chitalu Chilufya is expected to confirm the cases of the name at today’s briefing.
Dr. Chilufya stated when he visited Kafue late yesterday that the compliance levels among Kafue residents had been impressive as most of them stayed home to be screened.
He said the results of the Kafue exercise will to a great extent determine how the Zambia COVID-19 response will proceed.
By Wednesday, Zambia had recorded three more positive COVID-19 cases.
Dr. Chilufya said two cases involve two females aged 23 and 29 respectively who are contacts of the man from Makeni while the third case is of a 26-year-old man who arrived from Poland on the 12 April 2020 aboard Ethiopian airlines.
He said the new 3 cases are out of 150 cases that were tested between Monday and Tuesday.
President Edgar Lungu ordered a complete lockdown of Kafue and has halted movements of people in and out of the district with effect from yesterday.
Dr Chilufya has since urged Kafue residents to cooperate with authorities as they conduct various interventions such as screening and disinfecting in the area to ensure that the new infections are contained and further advised them to stay home.
"This is not punitive for the people of Kafue but to do everything possible to contain new cases within the district before it escalates to other potential areas" Dr. Chilufya assured.
The Kafue Covid-19 death had brought panic to the city. Banks and parastatals such as Zanaco and Napsa had already closed their Kafue branches before President Lungu instituted a lockdown in the district.
Over the weekend the health minister reported the Kafue deceased covid-19 casualty was not a ZANACO employee as he retired from his post at the bank two years ago and was not in direct contact with anyone at the bank.
"Let us remember that the client in question left ZANACO more than two years ago. He retired from Zanaco more than two years ago. The person that went to the bank is not him, it is the daughter who went to the bank for a very short period of time," he said, before proceeding to claim that the man's daughter had tested negative for coronavirus and that she is the one who went to Zanaco bank and not the deceased himself.
"This daughter is one of the people that we tested and she is negative. We will be conservative on the data that we release based on what is palatable for the public to preserve certain rights of the client in his death and the family. Even the lady who visited the bank has her own matrix of contacts which we have been following up and we will continue to follow up," Dr Chilufya said.
Notice: Undefined index: widget_id in /home/zambianews24/public_html/wp-content/plugins/td-composer/legacy/common/wp_booster/td_wp_booster_functions.php on line 2642