President Lungu has suspended Ministry of Education Permanent Secretary Henry Tukombe to pave way for investigations into the theft of millions of donor funds at the Ministry of Education.
State House Press Aid Amos Chanda revealed the development at a media briefing on Wednesday morning. Close to 80 other staff members at the Education Ministry were suspended earlier in connection with the theft of donor funds.
And Chanda has said that government has repaid the 2.7 million pounds to the British government (Department for International Development, DFID). The money which was meant for vulnerable people under the Social Cash Transfer scheme under the Ministry of Community Development and disbursed through the Zambia Postal Services was stolen but after the donors withdrew aid and demanded to be refunded, the Zambian government claimed the money was never stolen but was intact in a Zanaco account.
Chanda said the money was paid back on Monday 1st October 2018 and claimed no government money was used to make the refund.
Emerine Kabanshi was recently fired from the post of Community Development Minister by President Lungu in connection with the plunder of the Social Cash Transfer funds while officials at the Zambia Postal Services were suspended in connection with the same plunder.
Recently Western diplomats had indicated that more donor money was stolen at the Ministry of Education than at the Ministry of Community Development.