Cabinet has announced that it will go ahead and sue respected London based media house Africa Confidential for what it says is a smear campaign against the people of Zambia.
Chief Government Spokesperson Dora Siliya conformed in a Tweet that the decision was arrived at during this week’s cabinet meeting.
This followed a news briefing in Lusaka where Ms Siliya disclosed that government was exploring possibilities of taking legal action against Africa Confidential after it exposed the social cash transfer scandal.
Ms. Siliya said Cabinet has instructed the Attorney General to interrogate the possibility of the people of Zambia and the Zambian government taking legal action against the Africa Confidential.
She claimed that the smear campaign ‘perpetuated’ by the Africa Confidential “hurt the people of Zambia, not President Lungu.”
“It hurts the people of Zambia,” said Ms. Siliya.
“The economy is about perception and when people continue to have a smear campaign against our country, it affects the economy of the country and who suffers? It is the people of Zambia and that’s why we have acted swiftly that any insinuation that DFID money was used to pay debt or DfID had been stolen, we acted swiftly to say the DfID and British government let’s give them their money because we knew where it was and that we have been trying to explain that we ourselves…fighting corruption is not about visitors to this country.”
Govt has began a process to take legal action against the Africa Confidential for a smear campaign against the people of Zambia.
— Hon. Dora Siliya, MP (@Dora_Siliya) October 3, 2018